Matt Rush is one of the most famous and respected public speakers around. The role of public speaker is becoming increasingly interesting, with people seeing it as an opportunity to make significant amounts of money just by standing up and talking. According to Matt Rush, there is a lot more to the job than that, of course. For those who are realistic about becoming a public speaker, however, he has developed a number of key tips and hints to look out for.
Matt Rush’s Key Tips on Getting a Public Speaker Job
- Develop a style that is unique to you. Public speaking can be anything, including corporate entertainment, motivational speeches, sales training, and comedy, to name but a few. You have to decide which style is good for you, and which style you are capable of. Each has its own particularities, after all.
- Find a niche. You can’t just public speak on anything you would like to and become successful. Rather, you have to be able to set yourself apart as an expert in an area that few people know of, but everybody wants to know of.
- Study this niche. Once you have decided what it is you want to specialize in, you need to develop your specialization. Read as much as you can, follow blogs, ask questions, go see other speakers, and so on.
- Join groups for public speakers. You need to be able to list yourself somewhere so that people can find you to hold a speech to attendants at their conferences. Numerous such organizations exist, so do your research.
- Watch videos of other public speakers. Matt Rush, for instance, can easily be found on YouTube, where you can study him, his mannerisms, his style, his gestures, his tone of voice, and more.
- Practice, practice, practice. Record yourself speaking and think about where you could make changes. Ask to hold speeches to your friends and family members, so that they can give you constructive criticism. Listen to what people say, and try to incorporate that into what you do.
- Get rid of PowerPoint. Nobody likes it and if you show us saying you want to go through a PowerPoint presentation, you will have lost the interest of your audience straight away.
- Try direct marketing and network marketing. This is an opportunity for you to get your name out there. Don’t be afraid to contact companies within your niche to find out whether they need public speakers.
- Join online forums to further develop your knowledge and skills on certain topics, but also to improve your debating skills. Although debates on forums are online, they can help in terms of making sure that you know what you are talking about.
- Make sure you have excellent audiovisual etiquette. The system has to be properly set up, you should have handouts, there should be no loud whistling noises, the microphone should be set correctly, and so on.